On February 8, 2019, CREW Atlanta hosted UCREW, a day long, cross-industry commercial real estate intensive designed to help both undergraduate and graduate students learn more about the commercial real estate industry as a whole. I attended UCREW as a student last year, and I had the honor of co-chairing UCREW this year alongside Meghan Gordon. The day was split into seven events:
- The Rising Star Panel: Rebecca Sweet of LevickRoth, Cicely Anderson of Duke Realty, Jessica Branch of Franklin Street, and Nick Winbush of T. Dallas Smith and Company spoke to the students about what it takes to get into commercial real estate and what it takes to succeed.
- The View from the Top Panel: Monetha Cobb of Franklin Street, Tina Renee McCall of Bridge Investment Group, Diane Lidz of Hartman, Simons & Wood, and Jodi Borges-Bradley of Interior Architects spoke to the students about what a successful career in commercial real estate looks like and gave practical advice.
- An Etiquette Seminar on Best Business Practices: Julie Barefoot of Emory University spoke to the students about interview etiquette, dining etiquette, and gave the students tips on how to mind their manners.
- Networking with CREW Members: The students spent lunch split into smaller networking groups hosted by Heather Lamb of CBRE, Pam Little of Pond & Company, Peggy Henderson of NV5, Collier McLeod of Parker, Poe, Adams & Bernstein, and Denise Meng of Signarama.
- Case Study on the Mercedes Benz Deal: Lisa A. Crawford of Durough & Durough, Ellen Smith of Parker, Poe, Adams & Bernstein, and Amanda Calloway of Calloway Title and Escrow spoke to the students about the Mercedes Benz Headquarters transaction and explained exactly what it took to close the deal.
- Organization Fair: Representatives from the Atlanta Commercial Board of Realtors, Corenet Global, the Urban Land Institute, the Appraisal Institute, STREAM Realty, CREW Atlanta, and the International Council of Shopping Centers attended and spoke to students about what their respective organizations had to offer.
- Happy Hour: Students had the opportunity to network with both CREW Atlanta members and attorneys from Miller & Martin.
Thank you to all of the CREW Atlanta members who made helped make UCREW a resounding success, and a special thank you to Miller & Martin for sponsoring the happy hour and to all of the CREW Atlanta members who attended.
Recap written by Casey Holloway, Esq., Associate Attorney at Cushing, Morris, Armbruster & Montgomery, LLP.
Casey Holloway focuses her practice in the areas of commercial real estate and corporate law. She counsels clients on a broad range of commercial transactions including acquisition and leasing, ownership structure, development, and financing.
Subscribe today and get future blog posts your email.